In this comparison, I’ll dissect two popular bike models; the Canyon Ultimate vs Scott Addict RC.
I’ll compare their lineups, bike specifications, and suggested retail prices in USD, then discuss the carbon fiber technology (Canyon Carbon Fiber and Scott High Modulus Carbon) and frameset technologies.
The goal is to give you a better understanding of Canyon Ultimate and Scott Addict RC to help in your decision-making.
|Canyon Ultimate||Scott Addict RC|
|Type of bike||All-rounder||All-rounder|
|Frame material||CFR carbon|
CF SLX carbon
CF SL carbon
|Frame sizes||XXS, XS, S, M, L, XL, XXL||47, 49, 52, 54, 56, 58, 61|
|Groupset||Shimano, SRAM (12-speed)||Shimano, SRAM (12-speed)|
|Brakes||Hydraulic disc||Hydraulic disc|
|Price (USD)||$3,999 to $9,999||$4,799 to $15,999|
The Canyon Ultimate is an all-rounder bike. Canyon claims that the Ultimate has an unrivaled stiffness-to-weight ratio, debunking the myth that a lightweight bike is not stiff enough to perform at the highest levels of cycling.
It’s the bike the pros rode to two World Championships and three Grand Tours wins in recent years with Alejandro Valverde, Nairo Quintana, and Richard Carapaz.
The flagship model, Canyon Ultimate CFR is the latest addition with the lightest setup weighing 6.52kg. The Ultimate CFR has the best electronic shifting groupsets from SRAM or Shimano. Next in line is the CF SLX weighing 6.98kg, and CF at 7.6kg.
|Model||Frame material||Groupset||Wheelset||Retail price (USD)|
|Canyon Ultimate CFR eTap||CFR carbon||SRAM Red eTap AXS||Zipp 353 NSW||$9,999|
|Canyon Ultimate CFR Di2||CFR carbon||Shimano Dura-Ace Di2||DT Swiss PRC 1100||$9,499|
|Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 9 Di2||CF SLX carbon||Shimano Dura-Ace Di2||DT Swiss ARC 1100||$6,999|
|Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 8 Di2||CF SLX carbon||Shimano Ultegra Di2 (R9200)||DT Swiss ARC 1400||$5,499|
|Canyon Ultimate CF SL 7||CF SL carbon||SRAM Rival eTap AXS||DT Swiss P 1800||$3,999|
Canyon Ultimate vs others
Scott Addict RC
The Scott Addict RC Ultimate is a top-of-the-line model made from the superlight HMX SL Carbon. The Scott Addict RC Pro is next in line with the HMX Carbon. Both models have a fully integrated, one-piece carbon handlebar.
Further down the line are five Scott Addict RC models built with the HMX Carbon. They use a two-piece aluminum handlebar, and the cables are fully hidden. RC stands for Racing Concept, and the Addict RC is Scott’s performance racing bike.
|Model||Frame material||Groupset||Wheelset||Retail price (USD)|
|Scott Addict RC Ultimate||Carbon (HMX-SL)||SRAM Red eTap AXS||Zipp 353 NSW||$15,999|
|Scott Addict RC Pro||Carbon (HMX)||Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 (R9200)||Zipp 303SE||$9,999|
|Scott Addict RC 10||Carbon (HMX)||SRAM Force eTap AXS||Syncros Capital 1.0 35||$7,599|
|Scott Addict RC 15||Carbon (HMX)||Shimano Ultegra Di2 (R8100)||Syncros Capital 1.0 35||$6,799|
|Scott Addict RC 20||Carbon (HMX)||SRAM Force eTap AXS||Syncros RP2.0||$6,299|
|Scott Addict RC 30||Carbon (HMX)||SRAM Rival eTap AXS||Syncros RP2.0||$5,299|
|Scott Addict RC 40||Carbon (HMX)||Shimano 105 Di2 (R7100)||Syncros RP2.0||$4,799|
Scott Addict RC vs others
Canyon vs Scott carbon fiber
Canyon Carbon Fiber (CF)
Canyon’s innovative approach to bike design includes the utilization of advanced carbon fiber technology, resulting in performance-oriented bicycles that offer remarkable strength, reduced weight, and improved ride quality.
Canyon employs three main types of carbon fiber in their range of bikes; CFR, CF SLX, and CF SL, each offering unique benefits to cater to your needs and budgets.
- Canyon CFR (Canyon Factory Racing) Carbon is the top-tier carbon fiber used by Canyon, designed for maximum performance. Bikes built with CFR carbon are the lightest and stiffest in the Canyon line-up, favored by professional racers and serious enthusiasts alike. The CFR series represents the pinnacle of Canyon’s engineering prowess and innovation, employing state-of-the-art materials and advanced manufacturing techniques.
- Canyon CF SLX Carbon is a step below CFR, but it still offers exceptional performance characteristics. It used to be the highest-grade carbon in Canyon’s arsenal until the introduction of the CFR series. Bikes with CF SLX carbon frames provide a perfect balance of weight, stiffness, and comfort, making them highly versatile for a range of riding conditions.
- Canyon CF SL Carbon is the entry-level carbon fiber in Canyon’s range, but it still offers excellent performance. While it doesn’t quite match the extreme weight savings and stiffness of the CFR and CF SLX grades, CF SL frames are still impressively light and stiff, providing excellent performance for the value. Ideal for cyclists who desire a high-quality, performance-oriented bike without breaking the bank, the CF SL series is a testament to Canyon’s commitment to delivering value and performance.
Scott High Modulus Carbon
Scott implements two primary types of carbon fiber technology in their bicycle frame construction; HMX-SL, HMX, and HMF carbon.
- HMX-SL (High Modulus Xtreme, Super Light) carbon is the pinnacle of Scott’s carbon fiber technology. This innovative blend of carbon fiber is designed for ultimate stiffness and minimal weight. Scott uses HMX-SL Carbon in their highest-end models, such as the premium version of the Scott Addict RC Ultimate and Foil RC Ultimate road bike. These bikes, with HMX-SL Carbon frames, are the go-to choice for professional cyclists competing in world-class races.
- HMX carbon is a level below the HMX-SL, and is still a top-tier carbon material offering a fantastic blend of stiffness and lightweight construction, albeit not as light or rigid as the HMX-SL. It’s an excellent choice for serious and experienced cyclists looking for a high-performance bike without the additional premium.
- HMF (High Modulus Fiber) carbon, may not be as light or stiff as HMX carbon, but it’s still a superior material that contributes to a robust, light, and efficient ride. Scott uses HMF carbon in their bikes that strike a balance between affordability and performance.
Frameset technologies and innovations
Canyon Ultimate and Scott Addict RC framesets incorporate advanced technologies to enhance their bikes’ performance and ride characteristics.
Here’s an overview of the technologies used in each bike model.
|CFR Carbon||Canyon Factory Racing (CFR) Carbon is the highest-grade carbon fiber used by Canyon. It’s designed for ultimate performance, with CFR carbon frames being the lightest and stiffest in Canyon’s range. This carbon is employed for the most performance-driven models in Canyon’s lineup.|
|Pro Geometry||Pro Geometry is Canyon’s design approach that tailors each bike frame’s size with specific tube dimensions and carbon layups, optimizing performance and ride characteristics for riders of different sizes. This ensures that every rider, irrespective of their size, enjoys a consistent and optimal cycling experience.|
|Adjustable Cockpit CP0018||The Canyon Ultimate CFR and CF SLX feature the innovative Cockpit CP0018, designed for aerodynamic efficiency and versatility. With fully internal cable routing, it offers a clean look and enhanced aerodynamics. The unique wing design allows for easy bike packing, eliminating the hassle of dealing with internal routing. |
Its innovative width adjustment feature lets you switch between narrow, medium, and wide settings (390-430mm) using just one tool. It provides a total adjustment range of 40mm (+/- 20mm on each side), allowing you to fine-tune your fit for comfort and efficiency.
|Ultimate System Complete||This design principle ensures that the Canyon Ultimate is developed as a complete system, incorporating frame, fork, seat post, stem, handlebar, and even spacers into the design process. The goal is to maximize performance and rider comfort, making the Ultimate a highly-efficient and enjoyable bike to ride.|
|Aero Testing||Canyon uses cutting-edge technologies and tools to achieve aerodynamic efficiency, including wind tunnel testing and Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD). |
These tools help them simulate and analyze airflow over the bike, enabling Canyon to refine the design for optimal aerodynamics. Canyon’s rigorous testing approach ensures the Ultimate offers superior aerodynamic performance.
Scott Addict RC
|Oversize Bottom Bracket||The Addict RC features an oversized down tube and bottom bracket intersection, among the widest on the current road bike market. This extensive cross-section and smooth transition handle loads effectively, reducing unwanted frame flex and ensuring efficient power transfer to the drivetrain.|
|Hollow Frame Structure||The entire frame set of Addict RC is built with a hollow structure and has an immaculately clean inside, which significantly reduces the overall weight.|
|One-Piece Handlebar||The Syncros Combo Creston IC handlebar is neat, with all cables completely routed internally through the bar, headset, and into the frame as part of Scott’s new Integrated Cable Routing (ICR). Collaborating with GebioMized, the handlebar design optimizes ergonomics for riders.|
|Evo-Lap Technology||Scott applies Evo-Lap technology in designing the Addict RC, using Finite Element Analysis (FEA) software to simulate different forces on the frame and optimize the carbon lay-up. By modeling the frame and testing stress distribution in different areas, Scott has optimized carbon layers throughout the frame, creating a lightweight yet resilient structure.|