Having grease stains on your expensive cycling clothing can be a frustrating experience, especially if they’re white or light colors.
Grease stains can be tough to remove and can become permanent quickly.
The key to removing grease stains is to address them immediately before they set into the fabrics. The fresher the grease is, the easier it is to remove it.
Things to use to remove grease
Cyclists commonly use dishwashing liquids, laundry detergents, and baking soda to remove grease. Your choice of cleaning products depends on the freshness of the grease and the type of fabrics.
- Dishwashing liquid is ideal for removing grease on cotton and synthetic fabrics.
- Laundry detergent is ideal for fresh grease stains on synthetic fabrics.
- Baking soda is a natural cleaning agent, ideal for dry and stubborn grease stains.
How to remove grease stains from cycling clothing
Here are eight steps to remove grease stains.
- Decide the type of cleaning products you want to use as outlined above.
- Apply a small amount of cleaning solution directly to the grease stains.
- Use an old toothbrush and gently rub the cleaning solution into the grease stain.
- Let it sit for around 10 to 15 minutes while the solution works its way to break down the grease. For dried and stubborn grease stains, opt for baking soda. Let it sit for five to six hours.
- Flip the clothing inside out, and rinse it under cold water with the grease-stained part facing downwards.
- Repeat the above if necessary until all the grease is gone.
- Proceed to wash the clothing as you would normally do. It can be either machine or hand-wash, depending on your preference. Remember to read and follow the washing instructions.
- Remember not to tumble dry, as the heat will damage the fabric. Let it air dry instead.
How to prevent getting grease
The main culprit is usually a dirty chain and dirty hands. Keep them away from your clothing as much as possible.
Clean your chain regularly and avoid over-lubing the chain. Excessive lube will not increase the drivetrain efficiency but will attract more dirt and grime instead.