Bourg-Saint-Maurice is a town in the French Alps, at an altitude of 815m. It has a population of around 7,000 people and is a popular tourist destination in summer and winter.
The town is particularly popular among cyclists as it offers excellent road and mountain biking opportunities. The area has many well-marked trails, and the scenery is simply stunning. Besides, Bourg-Saint-Maurice is situated at the foot of the famous Col de l’Iseran, one of the popular climbs used in the Tour de France.
Bourg-Saint-Maurice is the perfect destination if you’re looking for an active holiday in the French Alps. Whether you’re a seasoned cyclist or enjoy exploring on two wheels, you’ll be spoiled for choice in this beautiful corner of France.
How to get to Bourg-Saint-Maurice
There are a few different ways that you can get to Bourg-Saint-Maurice.
- By air. The nearest airport is located in Geneva, Switzerland. From Geneva, you can take a bus or train to Bourg-Saint-Maurice. The estimated travel time by bus is around 5 hours.
- By car. You can drive to Bourg-Saint-Maurice using the autoroutes (motorways). These roads have an A prefix.
- From Paris via the A6 (675km, 8 hours)
- From Lyon via the A43 (253km, 3 hours)
- From Nice via the A7/A8 (600km, 6.5 hours)
- From Turin, Italy via the A5 (193km, 3 hours)
- From Geneva, Switzerland via N90 (144km, 2.5 hours)
- By train. You can take a train from Paris to Bourg-Saint-Maurice. The estimated travel time is between 5.5 and 7.5 hours, depending on the train schedule and transfers.
- By bus. You can take a bus from Paris to Bourg-Saint-Maurice. The estimated travel time is 7.5 hours, costing around $80 for a one-way ticket. You can also take a bus from Geneva to Bourg-Saint-Maurice. It takes about 4.5 hours and costs around $35 for a one-way ticket.
Best time to ride in Bourg-Saint-Maurice
The best time of year to visit Bourg-Saint-Maurice for cycling is in the summer, when the weather is sunny and dry, and the temperature is warm.
It’s also worth visiting in the spring or fall, when the weather is milder and the roads are clear, but the crowds are smaller. Remember that mountain weather can change very quickly, so it’s always important to check the forecast and be prepared for any weather conditions.
Bourg-Saint-Maurice is located in the French Alps, so the weather and temperature can vary greatly depending on the season.
- Summer (June to August) is the warmest season, with temperatures ranging from 15 to 25°C (59 to 77°F). The weather is generally sunny and dry, making it the ideal time for cycling. However, it can get quite hot and crowded during peak tourist season.
- Fall (September to November), temperatures drop again and the weather can be unpredictable with a mix of sun and rain. The roads are generally clear, but the leaves on the trees can make the roads slippery.
- Winter (December to February), the temperature typically ranges from 2 to 7°C (36 to 45°F), and it’s likely to snow, making it difficult to cycle.
- Spring (March to May) brings milder temperatures, typically around 5 to 15°C (41 to 59°F), with occasional rain showers. The snow on the roads starts to melt, making it a good time for cycling.
Best climbs around Bourg-Saint-Maurice
There are many popular climbs for cyclists around Bourg-Saint-Maurice. The most popular climbs are;
- Col de l’Iseran is located northwest of Bourg-Saint-Maurice. It’s a long climb, 47.7km, and averages 4.1%.
- Cormet de Roselend is just outside of Bourg-Saint-Maurice. The climb is 19.2km long and averages 5.7%. You’ll reach the scenic Lac de Roselend if you continue to descend to the other side of the summit.
- Col des Saisies is further up from Cormet de Roselend and Lac de Roselend. The actual climb starts from Beaufort and lasts for 15.6km with an average gradient of 5.9%. Col du Pré is another option after descending to Lac de Roselend.
When riding any of these climbs, it’s important to be prepared for the challenge.
Make sure to bring plenty of water and snacks, and dress appropriately for the weather. Know your fitness level and limits, and take breaks as needed. Most importantly, enjoy the experience and the incredible views!
Bike hire and rental in Bourg-Saint-Maurice
Several bike hire and rental services are available in Bourg-Saint-Maurice, offering a range of bikes for hire at reasonable prices.
The most common type of bike available for hire is the mountain bike, which is ideal for exploring the many trails and tracks in the area. Prices for mountain bike hire typically start at around €20 per day.
Other types of bikes available for hire include road bikes and hybrid bikes. These are more suitable for riding on roads and paved paths. Prices for road bikes start at around €30 per day.
When hiring a bike, choose a bike that is the right size for you. It’s also important to wear a helmet at all times when riding and to follow traffic rules and regulations.
More reading : Bike Size vs Height Guide
Cycling tours in Bourg-Saint-Maurice
Several companies offer cycling tours, which vary in price, services provided, and popular destinations. There are tours available for all levels of cyclists, from beginner to advanced.
If you are a beginner, it’s important to choose a tour that is not too challenging and has plenty of stops along the way so that you can rest and enjoy the scenery.
The price can also vary depending on the company and the length of the tour. Most tours last between two and four hours, although some may be longer.
Most cycling tours include a guide familiar with the area and who can provide information about the sights along the way. They also offer other services, such as bike rental and transportation to and from the starting point.
It’s important to consider what time of year you’re going. The weather in Bourg-Saint-Maurice can be quite cool, even in the summer months, so it’s important to dress appropriately.
The best time to go on a cycling tour is from May to October.