Located in the Hautes-Pyrénées department in the Occitanie region of southwestern France, Argelès Gazost is a charming town situated at the foot of the Pyrenees mountain range. It’s known for its thermal baths and proximity to many popular cycling routes, making it a favorite destination among cyclists.
In the summer months, the weather in Argelès Gazost is generally warm and sunny, making it a perfect time to hit the road or trails.
One popular route is the Col du Tourmalet, a mountain pass that rises to an altitude of 2,115 meters (6,939 feet). This route offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains and is a popular climb often used in the Tour de France.
For mountain bikers, the Parc Naturel Régional des Pyrénées Ariégeoises offers a network of trails suitable for riders of all skill levels. This protected natural area is a great place to explore the beauty of the Pyrenees on two wheels.
How to get to Argelès Gazost
There are a few options to get to Argelès Gazost.
- By plane. The nearest airport to Argelès Gazost is Lourdes/Tarbes Airport (LDE), about 30km away. You can take a taxi or rental car from the airport to Argelès Gazost.
- By train. The TER regional train network serves Argelès Gazost. Trains run regularly from Toulouse and other nearby cities.
- By car. Argelès Gazost is located on the A64 motorway, which connects Toulouse to the Pyrenees. It’s about a 2 hours (200km) drive from Toulouse to Argelès Gazost.
- By bus. A regular bus service serves Argelès Gazost from Toulouse and other nearby cities.
Best time to ride in Argelès Gazost
The best months for good weather in Argelès Gazost are May through September. These months have warmer temperatures and generally clear, sunny skies, making them ideal for cycling.
The warmest months are typically July and August, with average temperatures reaching 24°C (75°F) or more. These months have the longest and sunniest days. Remember to hydrate and refuel well to prevent bonking during this hot period.
If you prefer cooler weather, the spring or fall months might be a better time to visit Argelès Gazost. The weather during these months is generally mild and pleasant, with cooler temperatures and shorter days.
Popular cycling routes around Argelès Gazost
Here is a list of some of the best cycling routes and climbs in the Argelès Gazost area.
- Col du Tourmalet starts from Luz Saint Sauveur and follows the D918 road through the Pyrenees. The climb is 19km and the elevation gain is 1,387m. The maximum gradient is 12.4% and the average gradient is 7.4%. The Col du Tourmalet ranks first for the most Tour de France appearance with 88.
- Col d’Aspin starts from Saint Marie de Campan, about 45km from Argelès Gazost. The climb is 12.6km long and averages 5.1%. The Col du Tourmalet ranks second for the most Tour de France appearance with 73.
- Col de Peyresourde starts from Arreau and is 17.3km long, and averages 4.7%.
- Col d’Aubisque is located west of Argelès-Gazost. The climb is 29.7km long and averages 4.2%. You’ll ride past the Col du Soulor on the way to the summit of Col d’Aubisque.
- Hautacam is a popular ski resort in the French Pyrenees. The climb from Argelès-Gazost is 14.6km long with an average gradient of 7.4%.
Bike rentals in Argelès Gazost
Several bike rental shops in Argelès Gazost offer a range of bikes for rent, including road, mountain, and e-bikes.
Prices for bike rentals can vary depending on the type of bike, the duration of the rental, and other factors. It is a good idea to compare prices at different shops and choose one that meets your needs and offers good value for money.
These shops can provide a convenient way to explore the local cycling routes and trails without bringing your own bike.
Here are a few of the bike rental shops in or nearby Argelès Gazost.
|Pyrenees Bikes||12 avenue des Pyrénées, Argelès-Gazost||+33 562 92 29 31|
|Tourmalet Bike Rentals||3, Place 8 mai, Luz-Saint-Sauveur||+33 609 55 31 02|
|Pyrenees Bike Hotel||27, Avenue du Paradis, Lourdes||+33 562 94 54 52|
More reading :